Do we put fertilizer on the plants when it’s hot?
There are fertilizers that help plants when temperatures are too high and others that cause problems. During the summer season, the plants we have in the garden and on the balcony suffer from the drought and the heat. High temperature and intense sunlight make it difficult for plants to perform basic functions such as respiration, transpiration and photosynthesis. The problem is more intense for the flowers and plants we have on the balcony and the terrace, as the temperature in the pots is easier and their humidity decreases quickly. The same applies to young plants that have not had time to grow and create a strong root system that will help them cope.
- Does it make sense to put fertilizer on the plants when it’s hot in the summer? Surely he is going to hear that it is not good to add fertilizer in hot conditions, however for a general that is not absolutely true. To clarify, some fertilizers are not allowed on plants in drought and high temperature conditions, while others can be added as they help plants cope with adverse heat conditions. So let’s see in detail which fertilizers we avoid in hot weather and which fertilizers help the plants to stay beautiful and healthy during the summer.
- Which fertilizers do we not put in periods of high temperatures and heatwaves? In conditions of high temperatures, we avoid the addition of fertilizers with a high nitrogen content, especially ammonium fertilizers and urea. Adding nitrogen in hot conditions can cause extensive damage to plant growth, flowering and fruiting. Avoiding nitrogen-containing fertilizers includes both adding fertilization through the soil and roots, as well as through the foliage using foliar fertilizer matches. Also, adding nitrogen to plants when temperatures are high makes plants vulnerable and more susceptible to disease attacks. In some cases, the combination of high heat and nitrogen fertilizers can cause irreversible damage and even cause the plants to completely dry out.
- Which fertilizers are suitable for plants in hot weather? During the hot season we can pour specific fertilizers that help the plants cope with the conditions of high temperatures and drought. These fertilizers are more effective when they are applied preventively just before the beginning of the Heat season and continue during the summer. The group of fertilizers we recommend for the plants of the Heat season includes:
- a) Seaweed fertilizer. In conditions of drought and high temperatures, we water or spray our plants with an ecological extract of algae to tell them in the summer. Algae fertilizer significantly helps the replenishment of damaged plant cells in conditions of excessive heat due to the natural hormones it contains.
- b) Silicon fertilizer. Spraying with foliar silicon fertilizer gives plants significant protection from adverse environmental conditions such as high temperatures, heat and hot winds. In addition, the application of silicon fertilizer to the plants strengthens the resistance to attacks from fungal diseases, while also improving the quality of the fruits.
- c) Potassium fertilizer. Potassium participates in the regulation of the photosynthesis process and in better water saving of plants even in adverse conditions of drought and strong hot winds. The addition of potassium fertilizer strengthens the resistance of plants in hot conditions and at the same time contributes to the formation of tasty and juicy fruits.
And a secret for applying fertilizers in the heat.
Spraying the plants with the foliar fertilizers of algae, silicon and potassium during the hot season, should be done at dusk, to avoid burns on the leaves of the most sensitive plants.